DS-2019 for J-1 Student and Intern Application Procedures
Texas A&M University, The Office of International Education
To begin processing your DS-2019 you need to send all completed forms and supporting documents directly to The Office of International Education at Texas A&M University Corpus Christi (TAMUCC).
Director, Office of International Education
Texas A & M University – Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5780
Corpus Christi, Texas 78412
Please follow the steps below and SUBMIT ALL FORMS, DOCUMENTS, & INFORMATION DIRECTLY TO THE OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION at TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY CORPUS CHRISTI.
Steps to apply for the J Program:
1. Download and complete the required forms listed below
2. Provide the following supporting documents listed below
- Acceptance / Invitation letter from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
- Processing fee of $295 (USD)
- All payment methods are accepted. Payment is due when your DS-2019 is issued.
- If paying by credit card, you need to submit a credit card authorization form. This form can be found by clicking the link:
- Make checks and money orders payable to:
- Texas International Education Consortium
- A copy of applicant’s passport identification page (page of passport with photograph, date of birth, etc.); Also include copies of dependents’ passport identification page, if applicable
- Proof of Current Funding / Financial Support (i.e., An official letter or financial document from an applicant’s sponsor or a bank. The minimum amount of funding must total $1,500.00 per month for the J-1 student, plus an additional $500.00 per month for each dependent)
3. If a J-1 scholar or student will transfer to Texas A&M University Corpus Christi, he/she must submit the following documents IN ADDITION to the required documents listed above:
- Proof of Health Insurance (All J-1 and J-2 visa holders must maintain medical, evacuation, and repatriation insurance coverage as indicated below)
- Medical benefits of at least US $100,000.00 per person, per accident or illness;
- Expenses association with medical evacuation in the amount of US $50,000.00;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of US $25,000.00; and
- Maximum deductible per accident or illness of US $500.00
- Proof of English Proficiency (Effective on January 5, 2015, a J-1 applicant MUST submit the “Objective Measurement of English Language Proficiency” according to the New U.S. Federal Rules and Regulations. In order to meet this new requirement, a J-1 applicant MUST submit one of the following proofs of English Language Proficiency:
- A recognized English Language Test (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)
- Signed documentation from an Academic Institution or English Language School
- A documented interview conducted by the sponsor either in-person or by video-conference, or by telephone if video-conference is not a viable option
4. If an applicant changes his/her current status to J-1 from another status (such as F-1, F-2, H-4, H-1B, H-1B1, J-2, etc.), he/she must submit the following documents IN ADDITION to the required documents listed above:
- Copies of ALL Previous & Current DS-2019's (if applicable)
- Copy of most current I-94 (if currently residing in the U.S.)
- Copy of most current Visa
- Include copies of Dependent’s I-20, I-797, I-94, etc. and Visa (if applicable)
5. If a J-1 applicant will be a student intern, the sponsoring Texas A&M University Corpus Christi department and the applicant must download, complete, and submit Form DS-7002 (see link below) IN ADDITION to the required documents listed above:
6. FINAL STEP: Submit the entire COMPLETE PACKAGE directly to The OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION at TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY CORPUS CHRISTI.
- Copy of most current 1-20, 1-797, or DS-2019, etc.
- Copy of most current I-94
- Copy of most current Visa
- Include copies of Dependent’s I-20, I-797, DS-2019, I-94, etc. and Visa (if applicable)
Once you are issued the DS-2019 and J-Visa it is extremely important to maintain your non-immigrant status while residing in the U.S. Please note the important information for the specifics regarding maintaining Visa status and contact the Office of International Education at Texas A&M Corpus Christi should you have any questions.
- Note: The sponsoring department and applicant must complete ALL the items on the forms. If an item is not applicable, fill in with N/A.