Discover Your Island

Updating Your Legal Documents

There are three documents that you are responsible to keep updated all the time
  1. Passport
  2. I-20
  3. I-94
Updating your legal documents is your responsibility. Please read instructions and plan in advance.
  1. Updating Passport

Passports should be valid for at least six months into the future when entering and re-entering the U.S. The expiration date can be located on your passport I.D. page. You cannot work or sign in any official documents with an expired passport. You should extend your passport no later than six months prior to the expiration date. Students may contact their local embassy or consulate for instructions on renewing their passport or renew when they go back home. 
  1. Updating I-20

Form I-20 need to be updated when (1) you just enter the US and start your program; (2) you change degree level or major; (3) your I-20 expired; (4) the DSO officer signing on your I-20 no longer work for your international office; (5) there are changes for any other information on the I-20.
Your I-20 expired will expired if the current time is over the Program End Date specified in the first page of your I-20. If your I-20 expires before you graduate, you will immediately be out of legal status. Hence, if you continue your study but your I-20 is going to expire soon, you will need to contact Office of International Education to extend your I-20. You will need to send us the following documents in that case:
  • An email or letter from your academic department or program coordinator explaining the reason for your program extension and new anticipated graduation date. They may email the requested information to
  • An official signed and sealed bank letter stating your estimated costs of attendance at TAMU-CC. Estimated Cost of Attendance for undergraduate students: $33,058.00. Estimated Cost of Attendance for graduate students: $29, 478.00
  • An Affidavit of Financial Support, the format is available at
Be sure to keep all of your I-20s for your records, and make sure all information is current. If you plan to travel outside of the U.S., please confirm your travel signature on page 2 of your I-20 is within the last 6 months.
  1. Updating I-94

Your I-94 will be considered expired if there is a date under the “Admit Until Date”. All F-1 visa holders must have “D/S” under this section. The D/S notation indicates your I-94 is valid until you complete your studies. If you have a date mentioned at Admit Until Date, you must contact the Office of International Education immediately. To check your I-94, visit
  1. Updating Visa

Please note you may remain in the U.S. if your visa expires while you are studying and do not leave the United States. If you travel outside the United States and your visa is expired, you will not be allowed to return to the U.S. You will need to renew your visa in order to return to the U.S. Visas cannot be renewed within the U.S. Please contact the International Student Advisor, Ms. Elizabeth Reyes, for information concerning going to Mexico or Canada with an expired visa.