The Texas A&M University System has established five circumstances in which an F1 or J1 international student can request a waiver of SSHIP. Guidelines/Criteria:
To apply for Health Insurance Waiver:
- Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy (will be PPACA compliant). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, it must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
- US employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
- Student is enrolled in only distance learning programs. If they are outside the US, and have the SHIP fee on their account, they will need to call the ISS department to get their status (location) updated and the fee removed if they are in the US, they will need to go forward with the waiver process.
- Is involved in intercollegiate athletics and coverage for all medical insurance is provided through a policy as part of the current sports accident medical policy approved by System Risk Management.
- Student has alternate insurance plan. However, just because a student has alternate health insurance coverage does not mean the student is eligible for a waiver. Alternative health insurance coverage must be comparable to SSHIP and must cover the coverage period.
- Waiver requests are reviewed by AHP and not ISS.
- You can submit your waiver request at the AHP Waiver Request System https://tamucc.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Only students that meet one of the A&M System allowed exceptions on the Waiver Guidelines may apply for a waiver.
- Students will need to allow Academic Health Plans (AHP) up to ten business days to process waiver requests.
- It is your responsibility to provide any additional documents to AHP regarding your waiver request. Failure to respond to any document request from AHP will affect your waiver requests.
- The waiver application period will be from 12/7/2018 - 01/28/2019. No waivers will be accepted after the deadline. Students who fail to submit a waiver by the deadline will be required to pay the SSHIP charge on their student account and no refunds will be issued for the student.
- GA/TA/RA does NOT need to apply for waiver online, see instructions in the section above